Thursday, March 20, 2008

War Funds Clarification

I received a question from someone asking me to clarify the content of my last post in which I mentioned: "the money pouring out of the U.S. for the “war on terrorism”".

Sure. One would argue that the United States profits by going to war no matter what the reason. While I am not disagreeing that the U.S. profits from war, I would say that the profit has a narrow focus in that it benefits only employees and shareholders of the specific companies which profit from war.

The point which I meant to express was that all these billions of U.S. dollars which is the money of the people largely through taxes has no benefit for them. That through expenditure of funds for war, the programs of the people get cut and others get grossly underfunded. This of course as a direct result of the war spending.

There is no doubt that war means big money. But it only benefits a very tiny percentage of Americans. Millions of Americans however are being and/or will be affected by program cuts. And amazingly, even our men and women serving in the armed forces who are sacrificing their lives and quality of their lives will be seeing further program cuts in veteran medical care. So even here, what is bad now gets worse. Why must we use these dedicated men and women like expendable pawns? Anyway, I hope this clears up any uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment